Cinco De Mayo - Baked Enchilada's

Since tomorrow is Cinco De Mayo I am going to post a Mexican inspired recipe for baked Enchilada's. I have to give my cousin's wife Deena credit for this recipe because she made them for us one day for dinner and my husband asked me to duplicate the recipe. She used corn tortillas instead of flour - which are tricky to find, as only a few selected stores sell them around here. But now that I have tried them, I won't go back to flour.

 I looked all over for the canned Enchilada sauce that she used, but I couldn't find one so I turned to Google for help. This sauce recipe takes a little of this, and a little of that from a couple of different web recipes. But it is a winner! My hubby and even my kids gobbled it all up.




Baked Enchilada's


Ingredients:

(Meat Filling)

1 lb ground beef
1 onion
1 package Taco seasoning
1 cup water
1 tsp garlic powder
cracked black pepper

Directions:

In a large skillet fry ground beef until no longer pink, drain and return to pan. Finely dice a medium sized onion and add to ground beef and saute for about 5 minutes or until onion starts to become translucent. Add Taco seasoning, water, garlic powder, and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 10 minutes on medium low heat, until sauce has thickened. Set aside to cool.

(Enchilada Sauce)

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon flour
1 package Chili seasoning mix
2 cups chicken stock
10 ounces tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt 

Directions:

In a medium saucepan, combine flour and oil and stir until smooth with a wooden spoon. Add packet of chili seasoning and cook for one minute. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes. The sauce will thicken and smooth out. Set aside to cool.




Assembly:

12 corn tortillas
Beef mixture
2 cups shredded cheese (any kind)
Enchilada Sauce

Arrange the tortillas on a flat surface and divide the beef filling equally among the 12 tortillas. Add a pinch of cheese, and about 2 tbsp of Enchilada sauce to each one and roll up. Place seam side down in a large casserole dish. Top with remaining Enchilada sauce, and remaining cheese on top. Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.


Comments