Slow Cooker Beef Stew


There is nothing like the smell of hot yummy food on a cold winter day. As I write this, I can smell the aroma of my winter beef stew as it slow cooks to perfection.

I don't thicken the stew until about an hour before serving and while I use the powdered Bisto™ gravy mix; you could also use the Bisto™ granules or even flour or cornstarch. See below. Also I used whole baby potatoes because that is what I had. I did not peel them, but you can use any normal sized potato or even sweet potato, but I would peel them and cut into 1 inch cubes first.

Flour/Cornstarch Thickener: Use 2 Tbsp of water for 2 Tbsp of flour/cornstarch. Combine in small bowl and stir until smooth. Add to stew and turn heat up to high for 30-45 minutes.


Winter Beef Stew:

1 lb Stewing beef (cut in 1-2 inch pieces)
3 stalks celery chunked (1-2 inch pieces)
1 handful whole baby carrots (about 15)
2 cups whole baby potatoes (about 15)
1 onion, chopped into 1-2 inch pieces
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups beef stock
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp Bisto™ brown gravy powder or granules

Place vegetables and meat in slow cooker. In separate bowl combine worcestershire, stock and spices. Mix well and pour over meat and vegetable mixture. Turn heat on Low and cook for 7 hours. Remove lid and add Bisto™ powder or granules. Replace cover and turn heat up to High for 30-45 minutes without removing lid.

Stir and serve. If you like it thicker, increase the amount of Bisto™ to 3 tbps.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi, thanks for the recipe. I made oxtail stew but got stuck on thickening the sauce without cornstarch. Bisto worked perfectly. Wasn't sure if I can use it and the ratio. Will try your full recipe next time with normal beef.