Triple Berry Ricotta-Yogurt Cheesecakes

These yummy little creations were a hit as a Valentine's Day dessert for my hubby and I. We didn't have a lot of money to spend on a fancy dinner out - (or even a fancy dinner in haha) So I made due with what I had on hand.

I used a tub of fresh ricotta which I strained in a coffee filter overnight in a metal colander to remove some of the excess moisture. I used individual single-serving size throw-away aluminum pie tins for easy clean up; but you can use a regular pie plate or even buy a pre-made graham crust.


Directions and Ingredients:














Cookie Crust:

2 cups of fine cookie crumbs (I used some Valentine sprinkle sugar cookies because that is what I had)
1/3 cup melted margarine

Combine melted margarine or butter and cookie crumbs, and play with it with your hands until mixture resembles coarse sand. Press into a pie plate and bake in a pre-heated 300 F oven for about 6 minutes. Allow to cool completely before filling.












Filling:

2 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups yogurt (I used the mixed berry fruit bottom)
1 egg slightly beaten
1/4 cup of white sugar (I used Epicure Summer Berry Fruit Dip Mix)
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp orange juice

The night before you prepare the filling, use some cheesecloth or a coffee filter to strain some of the liquid from the ricotta and set aside. The day you are baking the filling - add the remaining ingredients and whisk until well incorporated. Pour into prepared pie crusts and bake in a pre-heated 350 F oven for approx 30 minutes. (45 if you are using a large pie plate) When you shake it - the center should still have a tiny bit of a wobble (not completely set) - it will continue to cook so take it out at this point and leave to cool completely before putting it in your fridge. Let set for about 4 hours. Top with fresh whipped cream and the blackberry topping. (shown below)













Berry Topping:

2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp of orange zest
2 tbsp orange juice

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Cool and serve over cheesecake.

Comments