Citrus Hoisin Crock Pot Chicken

One morning I was going through the fridge, and started tossing a little of this and that into a crock pot. I wanted to share.

I had 6 boneless chicken breasts and I wanted to make shredded chicken wraps tonight for dinner. I served the chicken on a flour tortilla with fresh cut red and orange peppers, fresh mushrooms and some lettuce. You can serve it any way you like.


In the picture above, I used bone-in skin on chicken breasts. I skimmed the fat and removed the bone after the cooking time. The second time I made this recipe I found it much easier, and less messy to use boneless skinless.


Citrus Hoisin Chicken

Ingredients:

6 boneless chicken breasts
3 cups of water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
The juice of one lemon, lime and orange
2 half-inch slices each of lemon, lime and orange
3 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons of cornstartch
1/2 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a mixing bowl combine the soy sauce, citrus zest and juice, water, sugar, hoisin sauce, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Whisk to combine and set aside.

In a 4-6 quart crock pot, place the chicken. Layer with the slices of lemon, lime and orange, and pour the marinade over the top. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.

At this point, the chicken should be easily shred with 2 forks. Remove the citrus slices. Add the water to the cornstarch and stir to dissolve. Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce in the crock pot and turn the heat up to high for 20 minutes or until the mixture thickens.

Serve over rice, or tortillas with fresh vegetables.

Comments