Perogie Casserole

This is something that I threw together one night, and man was it good!! Today I made my perogies from scratch using a dough recipe I found on the internet, but you could just as easily use a frozen bag from the grocery store. I use a 9x9 glass casserole dish, greased well. Also, my dish has a tight-fitting lid, but you could use aluminum foil if you wanted.

Perogie Casserole

Ingredients:

1 bag of frozen perogies (approximately 30 per bag)
1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup (10 oz)
1 cup grated cheese (any variety, I used marble)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk or water
1 small onion diced
8-10 strips of bacon
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic minced
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Dice the bacon strips and add to a skillet and fry over medium heat, until just crispy. Place on a paper towel to drain the grease. Reserve 2 tbsp of the bacon grease. Meanwhile, mince garlic, dice the onion and add them to the same pan with the bacon drippings. Sautee for 3-5 minutes, until onions are translucent, being careful not to burn the garlic.

In a well greased casserole dish arrange the perogies. It doesn't matter if they overlap. Sprinkle the bacon, mushrooms, onions and garlic over the top and season with salt and pepper.

Combine the soup, sour cream and milk in a bowl and whisk together well. Pour over the perogies. Bake covered in a preheated oven at 350 F for 30 minutes. Uncover, top with cheese and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese has melted and is bubbly.

Comments

Unknown said…
I doubled this recipe last year for a pot luck and it was fantastic! Today I am making it again for another pot luck. I know it will be loved once more!