Spiced Brine

My husband asks me about every 2 weeks to make pulled pork. Now sometimes I slow roast it, and some times I use the crock pot. Sometimes I marinate with a dry rub or with a wet glaze. Lately however I have been using a brine solution and it makes for the most amazingly tender pulled pork you have ever tasted.


The salt and vinegar in the brine helps to break down the muscle tissue in the meat, causing expansion and thus locking moisture and flavour in to the pork. You could also use this brine for a whole chicken or turkey if you like.


You can brine for up to 36 hours, but I usually opt for about 12-24. After the brining process you can apply a dry or wet rub, or just cook the pork as is. You can also cook the pork in some of the brine in your slow cooker or a deep roasting pan. ( I don't reccommend this step for poultry)


Spiced Brine

Ingredients:

1 liter of water
1 liter of vinegar (cider, red wine, white or malt)
1.5 cups of coarse salt
a handful of black peppercorns
a dozen whole cloves
4 bay leaves
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup worcestershire
3 cloves of garlic (crushed with the back of a knife)

Directions:

In a large stock pot combine all ingredients and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the salt. Remove from heat and let cool completely before adding meat to the brine.

Comments