Veal Parmesan

At our local butcher this week I saw some veal cutlets that were awesomely priced at less than a dollar per piece. I bought a half dozen of them, and decided I was going to try veal parmesan. I have done chicken parmesan a dozen or so times, and was successful, and I have only tried veal a few times in my life - so I decided to give it a go. I hope you enjoy this recipe. It was delicious. My husband raved about it.


Veal Parmesan

Ingredients:


6 veal cutlets pounded very thinly
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
2 eggs slightly beaten
2 cups prepared pasta sauce (any variety will do)
2 tbsp italian seasoning
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste.


Directions.

Preheat oven to 375 F. Evenly spread a cup of sauce in the bottom of a greased casserole dish. (9 x 13 inch)

Preheat skillet to medium high heat, add vegetable oil and butter. Add a half cup of parmesan to the bread crumbs along with the italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

In separate bowls, place all ingredients in assembly-line fashion on the counter. This makes the process a lot easier.

First dredge the cutlets into the flour, then the egg wash, and finally the bread crumbs.

Shallow fry the veal cutlets 2 at a time for 1-2 minutes per side. (or until golden brown) Place on in casserole dish, on top of the sauce. Repeat with remaining pieces.

After all the pieces have been browned, add the remaining half cup of parmesan to the cup of mozzarella and mix well. Equally distribute the remaining pasta sauce to each piece of veal. Top with cheese.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Do not over cook, as veal will become tough.

Comments