Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes

Inspired by the ingredients on a can of Manwich, (sloppy joe sauce)I opted to try and see if I could come up with a similar sauce. It actually tastes nothing like Manwich in the end, but hey, whatever. It still tastes darn good!! I used my slow cooker because I wanted the sauce to thicken up and the flavours to all come together, and didn't feel like standing over a simmering pan.. lol

Ingredients:

1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium onion
1 bell pepper
4 cloves garlic
1 stalk celery

Sauce:

2 tbsp prepared mustard
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp worchestershire
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp cider vinegar
1 can tomato soup
1.5 cups Ketchup
1/2 cup water or beef stock
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp of garlic powder
1 tbsp barbecue spice blend
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Dice up vegetables and toss into slow cooker. Brown ground beef and drain off excess fat. Place meat in slow cooker.

Combine all ingredients for sauce in seperate bowl and whisk together until all ingredients are thouroughly incorporated. Pour sauce over ground beef and vegetables in slow cooker.

Cook on low for about 3-5 hours. Serve on toasted buns.

I have also used this sauce recipe for meatballs. They were great! Change up the spices a bit if you want. I have used white vinegar and red wine vinegar in place of the cider, and used molasses instead of brown sugar. I also used a honey mustard and a dijon in place of regular yellow. Whatever you have is fine.

Comments