Creamy Chicken "Stoup" w/ Rosemary Dumplings

A "St-Oup" is a cross between a Stew and a Soup. I stole this term from Rachael Ray... Sorry Rachael. Chicken soup is one of my favourites, but I LOVE stew as well and was craving dumplings today. I had boneless skinless chicken thighs so I used that, although you could use white meat if you wanted. Or a combination of the two. Sooo, I just kind of threw in whatever I had in my pantry, and this is what I came up with. Smells good and tastes great! I went heavy on the spices because some of the recipes I had read seemed rather bland.

Ingredients:

3/4 to 1 lb chicken, diced and pre-cooked in skillet
2 medium new potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, beans, corn)
2 stalks celery chopped
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (10 oz)
1 can condensed cream of celery soup (10 oz)
1 cup milk
1 cup water
2 cups chicken stock

1 teaspoon of each of the following dried spices;

- thyme
- garlic powder
- rosemary
- poultry seasoning
- salt
- pepper
- onion powder
- parsley

Dumplings:

1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp dried rosemary


Cook chicken pieces in skillet over medium high heat in a tablespoon of oil or butter until browned and no longer pink in the middle. Place on paper towels, drain and cool.

Combine 2 cans of soup, milk, water, and chicken broth in a large bowl and whisk until evenly incorporated. Add dried spices and whisk again. Pour into 4-6 quart slow cooker.

Add chicken meat, and all vegetables. Stir and cover. Set temperature on slow cooker to low and cook for 2-3 hours stirring once or twice.

Turn heat up to high and cook for about 45-60 minutes more. - (it needs to be at a simmer to add the dumplings) Meanwhile mix ingredients for dumplings. Drop dumplings by tablespoons into simmering liquid and return lid to pot. Cook for an additional 30-45 minutes or until dumplings appear puffy and are dense and sticky to the touch.

Serve immediately.

Comments